Wednesday 13 November 2013

Life does give you a 'Second Chance'!

So it all starts with me taking admission in a film school in Mumbai where my role model Shahrukh Khan learnt acting- The Barry John Studio. And if you're wondering why I joined it to begin with? Then well, its because I nourished a dream of becoming an actor in the Hindi Film Industry right since childhood. First day of the film school and I was all excited to meet new people with different backgrounds sharing the same dream. For me, it was a big step towards my ultimate goal - to see a larger than life version of myself on a 40*40 hoarding of my film in one of  the biggest film industries in the world. But since I'm pretty munificent, I wouldn't mind a hot female lead actress sharing space alongside me on the hoarding either.

Coming to the first day at the film school, all the 18 students in the batch gathered around the table beside the reception sitting anxiously. Nervousness writ on their faces, even the smile seemed like a cloak to hide the tension. I was on the other hand just excited to watch the acting Guru Barry John live..in person! Yeah I sound like a starstruck idiot but well, for a middle-class guy who preserved the cutout of this studio's number for 12 years it was all a fairytale. So, the introduction session begins with Barry sir giving us the tips and nitty-gritties of acting. All through his speech I was sitting there motionless, just captivated by his presence. He told us a story about the Chinese legend Zen. Once, a student came to him to become his disciple and follow his learnings. The student started speaking, introduced himself and went on to explain his family background while Zen was pouring his tea through a sieve. Completely unaware of Zen's apathy he went on blabbering about his previous learnings and experiences in life. While this was happening, Zen continued pouring tea into the cup even after the cup was filled to the brim and was now overflowing. Seeing this the student put a halt to his chatter and told Zen that the tea was overflowing and was getting wasted. Turning to him Zen said that he was just like the cup overflowing with tea. Since his mind is already crammed with everything there isn't any scope to learn anything new. So Zen told him to unlearn everything and come with an empty mind if he wanted to imbibe Zen's teachings and ideals. Similarly we were told to unlearn whatever we had learnt in the past and just live in the moment.

Amidst us was a 42 year old gentleman named Sameer aka Sam (that's how he preferred being called as it sounded hip and cool). Dressed in a white t-shirt and a jeans he smiled and had a calm demeanor. However I must admit, it was weird coming across an aspiring actor of the age of my father in a film school amongst 18 and 20 year olds. "Isn't 42 too big an age to pursue a dream of becoming an actor?" was the question he could almost sense in everybody's eyes. However he seemed unruffled by the situation and sat beside me during the first lecture. Proceedings started with a Q & A round with all of us sitting in a semicircle and one of us having to sit in the centre while being bombarded with questions from the remaining students in a sequential order after which the questioning would turn open-house! (as in then anybody could shoot the trembling student sitting in the centre with his barrage of questions irrespective of the order) . To get rid of any butterflies in my stomach  I almost thought of this as my first press conference after becoming a superstar (I know I sound like a lunatic but then this field isn't for the sane people anyways). "Sam, you go first" said our trainer in his deep baritone voice. And he sat in the middle folding his legs almost like an obedient kid in primary school.

First question "Hey Sam! no offence but what made you join a film school at this age?"
My belief in the fact that no offence always has to be followed by something offensive got reinstated.

Sam- "None taken mate. It's just that sometimes circumstances don't allow you to pursue your dream at the time you want to". This reply aroused my curiosity. Next question followed..

"What circumstances are we talking about?"
Poor Sam must have thought whether he was sitting amongst his "to be friends" or a bunch of C.B.I. officials waiting to tear him apart.

"Well, I always had a dream of becoming an actor. I used to act in school plays, dance a bit but my parents never considered it seriously. Dad wanted me to become an engineer and then take care of our apple orchards which is also our family business. He told me to either work or he'd disown me as he felt acting was what people who didn't have anything to do in life take up. So, I never got the opportunity or the right platform to learn something I love doing"

(Okie, firstly why engineering when his father had to make him a caretaker of his apple orchards? And secondly acting is for people who don't have anything to do in life? SAM'S DAD! SERIOUSLY? I'M OFFENDED)

Next question followed "Are you married and if yes, how many children do you have?"
" Yes, I've been a prisoner for 12 years now and have a 5 year old baby girl who lives with her mother in Shimla". The prisoner tag got all of us smiling.

Next one "Does you daughter miss you?"
(I looked at the person who asked this question as condom advertisements finally made sense to me. Half of us were facepalming ourselves. In my mind I knew I had to stay away from this person as he was going to be a serious threat to both - my patience and common sense)

"That you'll have to ask her. All I can say is I certainly miss my daughter"- replied an almost emotional Sam with a twinkle in his eye. It got me thinking as to how desperately he wanted to pursue his passion as obviously if he decided to stay away from his wife and daughter, he must be dead serious about his ambition.

Next question "What was your last job like?"

Sam- "You'd love to hear this. I was last working as the hospitality manager in a resort in Bangkok and had to take care of the spa whilst dealing with beautiful Russian and Thai masseurs"
(Beautiful Russian and Thai masseurs? Let me just say this was the only moment I wished I was in his place)

Next question "Considering that our industry runs on parameters of looks, don't you think you could lose out on that aspect?"

Pat came Sam's reply " If you're referring to my face, I don't need a facial. Who needs a facial when he has 3 dogs to lick his face?"
We all laughed our hearts out at this.


Sam's humour -1. Circumstances-0.

Next question "What's the most romantic thing you have ever said to your wife?"

"Baby, come to bed" replied Sam , at his wittiest best. The answer received a huge roar and an applause. What else do you expect from a crowd that's young, unmarried and high on sex hormones- testosterone and estrogen?

Then came the next question "Any regrets in life?"
Sam- " Well, the fact that I couldn't muster the guts to marry this woman I always loved. Somehow I couldn't overcome the webs of shyness and propose my love to her and by the time I could, she was already taken. "

Whoa! Uncle Sam in his elements. Now that's interesting!

Next question asked "Do you still miss her?"
Sam - "I still miss her and can't get her out of my head. Though when I'm in the toilet I don't miss her, so that's a relief!"
Sam's humour -2. Circumstances-0. 

Next one that followed "If you still miss her, aren't you cheating on your wife?"
(OOPS! That got too close and personal)
However Sam replied "I love my wife and don't regret marrying her. I have a gorgeous daughter who brightens my day like sunshine. All I mean is that the moments that I spent with that woman were so beautiful and worth cherishing that I can never forget her."

Next one "What is your daughter's name and why did you keep it?"
Sam - "Her name's Ayra. It's an Arabic name that means respectful. As per the Hindu traditions when a child is born, according to their time of birth a letter is assigned to them with which the child's name is supposed to start. So the letter was "A". All I did was google some names starting from A and liked this one. So me and my wife chose it.
(Now who the hell said Internet doesn't do good things?  ALL HAIL THE INTERNET)

Next question "What's your favourite cuisine?"
Sam- " I'd list 10 dishes each belonging to a different cuisine so I'd just sum it up saying I'm a foodie and love to eat!"

Then comes another  " What do you do when you are depressed?"
Sam- "I hear songs. They are my *go to* option when I'm feeling


low. I love listening to songs of Kishore Kumar. And by the way I love that one song from Justin Beiber too that goes *As long as you love me* I don't know why so many people hate that kid."

Next question "Who's your favourite actor?"

"The one and only Mr. Amitabh Bachchan", replied Sam.

Taking a cue another student asks "Why Amitabh Bachchan?" to which Sam replied - "Keeping aside the fact that he's a brilliant actor and a master at his art the fact that he is dignified. He has set high standards and the story of his struggle is what legends are made of. He respects his parents, has their values and most importantly the fact that he's disciplined. To have that passion and desire to work at his age is just unimaginable."

Last 2 questions left. Here comes the penultimate one "What are your hobbies?"

"My hobbies are singing, dancing, playing the guitar. However since this finger of mine got chopped off in an accident I couldn't play certain chords so I had to give up on the guitar" - said Sam flashing his half broken finger of his right hand.

And finally comes my chance to ask Sam the last question.
And I put forward my question "What's your biggest fear in life?"

 "That any kid like you should never have to go through my journey. I love my parents and wish that in all the seven births I take, I get blessed with parents like mine. I just wish their permission to allow me to pursue my dream came a bit earlier" he said, with a smile that was genuine but showed his helplessness.
He continued "My entire youth has gone in doing something which I never really wanted to do. I loved a woman I couldn't get and nurtured a dream I wasn't allowed to follow. In the former case I got the opportunity but missed it and in the latter never got the opportunity. Somehow I feel I have failed on both counts. I want to be an actor and will work hard, earn enough so that I can feed my wife and daughter here in Mumbai because as you know Mumbai is a very expensive place to survive. Presently my wife's working as a lecturer in a college and takes care of my daughter. So, the motivation to see my daughter smiling and in my arms is the only thing that keeps me going. Being alone in a big city can be intimidating, almost depressing to an extent as I have no friends here. Somehow if I could sum up my entire life with a couple of words it would be unfulfilling/incomplete".

Sam Sir was teary eyed. Yes, he was now "SIR" for me. Since each one of us sitting in the hall realised what value our dreams occupy in our lives..we all cried a bit inside hearing him. He had earned our respect. Moreover he turned into an inspiration for us. I replied "Sir, you have 17 friends over here so never say you don't have any friends. What happened in the past was past. You are here with us now and are one amongst us. When Boman Irani can do it in his 40's, you sure can rock the 40's as well. Here's your second chance!"

Sir just came forward and hugged me with a smile. Here was a man who dared to shed all his inhibitions in front of complete strangers. That one moment I will never forget.

I am even more focused on my dream now. Thanks to people like Sam Sir that come in your life and show you how lucky you are with all the support from your parents. I wish every child was as fortunate as us. I wish all parents were understanding. Life can be cruel to some of us. But then if your dream and your passion is all that's present  in your flesh and blood then nothing can empower you. No fear can belittle you. So forget the cliche "There's no second chance!"

 Let's raise a toast to the spirit that Sam Sir represents "Life does give you a second chance!"


















13 comments:

  1. Amazing! Well said. Lucky are those who are blessed with a fate that gives them everything on the platter. But luckier are those who have the balls to stand against all the odds, even after being beaten hard by life, on their feet, telling life - 'Bring It On, I'll Face It!' with that Never-Say-Die attitude one more time aiming to change all the lines of fate by their own will and hard work! Round of applause Vaibhav! :) :')

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well Written, yeah if u have passion nothing is impossible!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please, whatever you do,DON'T stop bloggin'! U'v no idea how much u'v inspired me! *fan girl moment* :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll surely keep that in mind. And thanks for the kind things you had to say. Keep reading my blog :)

      Delete
    2. Hey there! I did divert from my promise to you on continuing blogging but I'm back with a travel blog.

      https://thewanderingvegetable.com/

      I'm sorry for not having kept my promise but I ensure you this travel blog will keep on going.

      Regards

      Delete
  4. Wow ! Its really inspiring. Feels good to know that while everyone is being churned the rat race, there are people who dare to stand against it and do what they want to.
    Kudos Sam! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kudos to Sam..and kudos to the spirit of living life the way you want to \m/

      Delete
  5. Nice.....you seriously a intresting element boss...your blog i meant

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete